My Hulk-daddy is paying : Chapter seven

Hialmar

The Prelude may be found HERE

The preceding chapter is found HERE

PREFACE

No. The Aardvarks, of which Rob is a member, does not exist IRL. It is a figment of my imagination, and so are its 19th century founders.

They do have a resemblance of reality, though.

Don't worry, we will soon return to what's happening to Brad/Max half a planet away.

My Hulk-daddy is Paying

Chapter seven

"Bye Nate. I'll probably come home one hour later, because Big Jim will receive the second degree tonight."

Rob stood close to the door, wearing a tuxedo and carrying a bag with some books and some silk ribbons.

"Glad to hear. Hope he'll enjoy it."

"Still no possibility to see your application some day soon? I shouldn't ask, actually: New candidates are supposed to take the initiative themselves."

"You know me, Rob. You're the best man I've ever known; Jim is reliable, Cyrus is a great kid and Rodriguez is like my Gramps was, but I'm still afraid, that I wouldn't fit in. Where I grew up, fraternalism was something for the upper classes – those who were left after the Crisis – and even if I'm affluent now, thanks to Vin's foresight before he lost his mind, I don't feel relaxed around posh people. I don't want to be looked down at."

"No one would look down at you. The idea is to overcome class prejudice. We have members from all walks of life."

"But isn't it terribly old-fashioned and strange and full of funny handshakes? And shady?"

Rob sighed.

"I can't vouch for, what other orders do, but The Aardvarks frown at nepotism. There's even a part of the Constitution and by-laws that state that anyone found guilty of using the Chapter for mercenary purposes will be expelled. I enjoy the old-fashioned language. It connects me with history, and our founders were such a fascinating bunch of idealistic eccentrics. I hope, that you'll not feel abandoned?"

"It's ok. I'll watch the new Bond movie. It's a remake of Gold will never die tomorrow."

The room was almost dark. The silence was broken by a knock from a gavel.

”Is the Esteemed Outer Tiler present?”

”Present, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Esteemed Brother Outer Tiler, where is your proper station?”

”Outside the door, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Your duty there?”

”To guard the door from eavesdroppers, vicious men and those for whom the noble truths of aardvarkdom are yet a mystery.”

”Why is your collar purple?”

”The collar of an Outer Tiler share the color of the Official degree’s sash, but its significance is hidden from Brethren of lower degrees, and to the world a secret.”

”What is the sign of your office?”

”A sword, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”You have my permission to repair to your proper station. The Esteemed Inner Sentinel will let you know, when the Chapter is duly opened and, if needed, raised for business in higher degrees.”

”Is the Esteemed Inner Sentinel present?”

”Esteemed Brother Inner Sentinel, where is your station?”

”Inside the door, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Your duty there?”

”To guard the Chapter from the vices, foibles and disunity of the mundane world, to allow tested and proven Brethren of the proper degree to enter, even to allow proper Chapter officers accompanying properly invited candidates to the latter’s particular degrees, as that may be the case.”

”The collar of an Inner Sentinel share the color of the Official degree’s sash, but its significance is hidden from Brethren of lower degrees, and to the world a secret.”

”What are the signs of your office?”

”Two swords crossed, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Is the Esteemed Journeyman Officer present?”

”Esteemed Brother Journeyman Officer, where is your station?”

”In the northhwest, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Your duty there?”

”To accompany qualified, voluntarily applying, properly ballotted, accepted and invited candidates into the Journeymens’ Chapter, and deliver the main lecture of the Journeyman degree.”

”Why is your collar green?”

”The collar of a Journeyman Officer share the color of the Journeyman degree’s sash, signifying the noble virtues of Brotherhood, Duty and Benevolence.”

”A halberd, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Is the Esteemed Squire Officer present?”

Rob answered:

”Esteemed Brother Squire Officer, where is your station?”

”In the southwest, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Your duty there?”

”To accompany properly invited Journeymen into the Squires’ Chapter, and deliver the main lecture of the Squire degree.”

”Why is your collar sky-blue?”

”The collar of a Squire Officer share the color of the Squire degree’s sash, signifying the noble virtues of Reason, Conscience and Equity.”

”Two halberds crossed, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

Rob relaxed, and allowed the familiar and repetitious lull bring him into a timeless place, where symbols, customs and the choice of words had been more or less the same since 1865, and where he would recover from worries from work.

”Is the Esteemed Knight Officer present?”

”Esteemed Brother Knight Officer, where is your station?”

”In the south, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Your duty there?”

”It is well known, to Brethren of lower degrees, that a Knight Officer serve as Treasurer of his Chapter, and the Coffer is unto me entrusted. My other duties are hidden from Brethren of lower degrees, and to the world a secret. So is the significance of my crimson collar.”

”A shield and a key, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Is the Esteemed Sage Officer present?”

”Esteemed Brother Sage Officer, where is your station?”

”In the north, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Your duty there?”

”It is well known, to Brethren of lower degrees, that a Sage Officer serve as Secretary of his Chapter, and the minute-books are unto me entrusted. My other duties are hidden from Brethren of lower degrees, and to the world a secret. So is the significance of my black collar.”

”A skull and a quill, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Is the Very Esteemed Past Senior Aardvark present?”

”Very Esteemed Brother Past Senior Aardvark, where is your station?”

”By your right side, Honorable Senior Aardvark.”

”Your duty there?”

”On behalf of the Provincial Chapter, to supervise the compliance of a local Chapter to the Constitution and by-laws of the Ancient Benevolent and International Order of Aardvarks, to advice the Honorable Senior Aardvark during his term, and to lead Brethren in their devotions.”

”The collar of a Past Senior Aardvark share the color of the Official degree’s sash, but its significance is hidden from Brethren of lower degrees, and to the world a secret.”

”An aardvark, Honourable Senior Aardvark.”

”What is an aardvark?”

”An aardvark is an animal very common in South Africa, measuring upwards of three feet in length, and having a general resemblance to a short-legged pig. It feeds on ants, and is of nocturnal habits, and very timid and harmless.”

”Why do we style ourselves after this particular animal?”

”Because it is emblazoned on our heraldic crest, Honorable Senior Aardvark”

”And why so?”

”Unlike other animals, it is not prone to attack, but, if attacked, it defend itself bravely with its fearsome claws, and it is furthermore a hardy creature able to withstand attacking poisonous  soldier-ants. For this reason, it is a useful symbol for an Aardvark’s willingness to defend the grave and noble philosophical tenets instilled into willing and receptive hearts inside the chapter-rooms of aardvarkdom. Furthermore, its nocturnal habits and amusing visage is a proper symbol for the merriment allowed at the consecutive festive board.”

”Does aardvarkdom then allow merriment?"

”As Sacred Writ proclaim: ’To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.’”

The Senior aardvark knocked twice with his gavel:

”Esteemable Officers, rise!”

”Esteemable Officers, which purpose under heaven does aadvarkdom serve?”

Brother Journeyman Officer began the almost 200 year old traditonal answer:

”To bring together men from all walks of life.”

Rob answered:

”To help them recognize in each other men and Brothers true.”

Brother Knight Officer continued:

”To remind them of their civic duties.”

Brother Sage Officer added:

”To instill noble ideals into willing and receptive hearts.”

Brother Inner Sentinel concluded:

”And to enable such innocent mirth, that alleviate the burdens of mundane life.”

As usual, the Past Senior Aardvark rose, and asked the Senior Aardvark:

”Honorable Senior Aardvark, where is your station?”

”In the east, Very Esteemed Brother Past Senior Aardvark.”

”Your duty there?”

”To preside as chairman of the business and transactions of a Chapter duly opened in, or raised to, any of the four Local Degrees of aardvarkdom."

”The collar of a Senior Aardvark share the color of the Official degree’s sash, but its significance is hidden from Brethren of lower degrees, and to the world a secret.”

"What is the sign of your office?”

”A gavel. Esteemed Brother Journeyman Officer: Perform your duty, at the opening of the Chapter."

Journeyman Officer solemnly approached the Senior Aardvarks desk, carrying his halberd in his left hand, and a candle in his right. He lit his candle, returned solemnly to his station, and lit the three candles at his pedestal, saying with a clear voice:

"BROTHERHOOD. DUTY. BENEVOLENCE."

Senior Aardvark answered:

"I hereby declare Local Chapter number 16 of the Ancient Benevolent and International Order of Aardvarks duly opened for business in the Journeyman's Degree, to assist our neighbors in need and to the glory of the Supreme Being."

He knocked in a complicated way. Inner Sentinel repeated the knock at the inside of the chapter-door. Outer Tiler repeated the knock from the outside of the chapter door.

The Senior Aardvark now addressed Rob:

”Esteemed Brother Squire Officer: Perform your duty, at the raising of the Chapter to the second degree."

Rob walked solemnly, and repeated what the Journeyman Official had done, lit the three candles close to his seat, and declared firmly:

"REASON. CONSCIENCE. EQUITY."

"Very Esteemed Brother Past Senior Aardvark; Perform your duty, at the raising of the Chapter to the second degree."

"Honorable Senior Aardvark, Esteemable Officials, my Brethren! We are about to confer the second degree upon a Journeyman, and desire to make a lasting impression upon his conscience. Let us therefore conduct ourselves accordingly. To hear again the obligations taken; the instructions given and the wonderful lessons of the order dwelt upon, can only be of profit to you and to the order. You know how easily we forget. And before the Chapter is duly raised for business in the second degree, let us raise our hearts and minds unto the Supreme Being according to each one's conscience, and silently pray for blessings upon this Chapter."

Silence fell. The air felt thicker now, and charged with solemnity. The silence was again broken by Senior Aardvark's voice:

"I hereby declare Local Chapter number 16 of the Ancient Benevolent and International Order of Aardvarks duly opened for business in the Squire Degree, to assist our neighbors in need and to the glory of the Supreme Being."

It was two and a half hour later. The Chapter had closed traditionally, and they were seated around the dinner table.

Brother Esteban joked something about where Brother Jim and Brother Rob were able to buy tuxedos in a fitting size, which caused Jim to laugh in his warm, deep voice, as he protectively  patted the old and frail man on his shoulder. Jim leaned in Rob's direction, and whispered:

"Now I get from where you got some of the ideas guiding 'Hancer Chapters."

"Care for you neighbourhood. Good citizen. Incorruptibility. Not so old-fashioned, is it? Or if it is, some good ideas are old, which doesn't mean that every old idea is good."

"Fair enough. Hasn't Nate given Aardvarks a thought? If he enjoy 'Hancer Chapters, he should enjoy the Aardvarks, wouldn't he, even if most Brethren are baseline fellows, and the rituals are more elaborate here."

"He know how to apply. No one ought to persuade him. I've said more, than I should, to him. Then there's the bit about belief in a Supreme Being."

"The Squire Trial was more shocking than I expected, but it's good food for thought."

"Our founders wanted the Aardvarks to be more thought-provoking than Odd Fellows, the Masons or the temperance orders, that's why. It's not just a drama for drama's sake. The important thing is, that you begin to think for yourself. I suppose some Aardvarks are here just for company and the meal, and some Brethren think that the ritual part take too much time from charity, but I think, that there's a place for all three: Some serious food for thought and life-advice, some fun at the festive board, and some money and work spent on charity. There's an orphanage close to the coast which need some help to re-build, as a precaution against flood, and there's a women's shelter, that always is grateful for some donations."

"Is it true, that Osiris Jefferson knew something about ancient Egypt?"

Rob chuckled.

"I've seen books printed as late as the 1970s, which maintained, that some of our imagery was transmitted by Jefferson from the ancient Egyptians, but that's nonsense. He deliberately shrouded himself in mystery, because back in the 1870s it was easier to present oneself as "Egyptian" than African-American. All of our five founders were outsiders in one or another sense: O'Kelly was an Irish Catholic at a time when that wasn't popular, Larsson was a Scandinavian at a time, when they were considered weird because of their bad English, then you have Jefferson, and even if Sanderson-Rattray belonged to an old family with a lot of money, he was considered eccentric, because he studied Thoreau, Emerson and Margaret Fuller. That he was an abolitionist in the South probably didn't endear him to his neighbours either: He moved to New England after a while. Smith was a Quaker. That's the reason why the obligation is a series of questions, and not the sort of wordy oath, it is rumoured, that other orders use. I doubt, that O'Kelly would have assisted in the foundation, if there had been an oath, either: Both Quakers and Catholics are sensitive about that. One of the proofs, that they didn't just talk the talk, but walked the walk, is, that Horowitz was one of the first candidates to become an Aardvark – He later became the third Grand Aardvark. I'll not bore you with our history. You'll have decades to read about that. The important thing is, that you give tonight's lessons some thought, and try to apply them in your daily life. Will you join me, when I fetch some more pie?"

The next chapter may be found HERE

Edited by Hialmar
details, added link, continuity
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Bjort said:

Muscle and secret orders!  🥰🥰🥰.  

E2B5FE51-46D7-4761-8E59-93D98D51F6C7.jpeg

Nice illustration, but I imagined the Aardvarks in a different manner: A place where old-fashioned but still so relevant civic and responsible masculinity is fostered when three generations of men are given an environment to talk and discuss, experience a Gesamtkunstwerk from the past, donate to charitable purpses, share a meal and plan service for their local community.

The Aardvarks themselves are entirely fictitious, of course, but there are similar fraternal orders out there, some still functional, others with better days in their past. I honestly believe, that fraternalism may still serve a purpose, but only so if surviving fraternal orders take their inherited ideals of civic virtue seriously (and not dumb it down in hope of increasing member numbers).

In the late 19th century, about 30% of all men in the US belonged to one or another fraternal order, and it was hugely popular here in Scandinavia, too. As my sci-fi story take place in the future, I imagine that future generations have rediscovered the idea. I like the Aardvarks. If they had existed IRL, I would have joined them.

Edited by Hialmar
more about ideals
  • Like 1

Well, ya can’t fault me for imposing my own mystic muscle fantasies on you writing amigo. 😜.  Better than the stereotypical vision of octogenarians in funny hats sitting around playing Euchre and watching straight stag movies from the 1950s. 🤪.  See the film “Peggy Sue Got Married”. 

742A0D49-7062-4007-B506-2817054120B6.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Bjort said:

Well, ya can’t fault me for imposing my own mystic muscle fantasies on you writing amigo. 😜.  

Worth a story of its own, but that will be in quite another setting than the setting of this story.

17 minutes ago, Bjort said:

Better than the stereotypical vision of octogenarians in funny hats sitting around playing Euchre 

Close to the truth in the case of some fraternal orders out there. Something more is needed than just a business meeting with decorations in polished brass, and if either 25 year olds, 50 year olds or 75 year olds are lacking, the entire idea of intergenerational interaction is lost. Twenty-five-year-olds left on their own will very probably turn a Chapter into a drinking club. Fifty year olds left on their own run the risk of transgressing any prohibition against using the organization for business contacts. Eighty year olds left on their own will fossilize their order, and eventually cause it to go extinct.

I do not say that all orders are always beneficial and for the good, but SOME are, IF they are run properly.

• Like 1

I am fairly certain that business connections were at the heart of both of my grandfather’s motivations for joining these organizations. They were an attorney and a manufacturing businessman (electronics).  They were both in cities and making political as well as business connections. Grandpa B in particular as he was in the state Capitol and ended up with an appointment to government positions and eventually as a state judge. I do not believe these groups play such a role in US society any longer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bjort said:

I am fairly certain that business connections were at the heart of both of my grandfather’s motivations for joining these organizations. 

That's the particular risk with fraternal orders I abhor. Many of them were founded on high principles and ideals, and this abuse run counter to the same principles and ideals.

When I decided to include the Aardvarks in this story, it was in order to shed light on Rob's principled conscience, but also his tendency to exhaust himself out of his sense of duty.

• Like 1