Becoming like them (finished version)

Hialmar

Thanks to @liftme for the inspiration.

Preface

This story has lurked unfinished in the Unfinished sub-forum since 2018, if I remember correctly. After the seventh update, it became suitable for the general Story sub-forum.

Becoming like them

The heavily built muscleman who stepped out of the machine wasn't the tiny youth who had stepped inside, though you knew they must be the same person, despite the extreme and alarming differences. But it is perhaps better to start from the beginning.

You were writing on your PhD. Professor Zimmermann allowed you to use his laboratory, and the grants for the project allowed your entire team to hire engineers to build new equipment in accordance to your designs.

Though hypotheses might work in theory, you needed equipment to test them and prove them. Hardware wasn't the only obstacle. You also needed test subjects. It turned out, that the offer attracted about 50% of each personality-type. One half of the test subjects were university athletes with the desire to improve their already impressive capacity, the other half were short and scrawny student nurturing a hope that the experiment might help them improve their physique.

The three initial test-subjects didn't change much if any, but you found out, that it could be the result of a construction error. When the engineers had modified the construction, you could proceed.

You found three volunteer test subjects on Professor Zimmermann's waiting list.

Smith was tall and sporty, and though he was about five years younger than you, he uncomfortably reminded you of the bullies from your highschool years: A brash and seemingly confident womanizer bragging about how much he was able to lift at the gym. Johnson was stocky and muscular, didn't speak much, but, when he did, he usually agreed to what Smith said. Davies was short and lean (Smith called him "skinny"), built in a manner similar to yourself.

"Beginning interview 3 with Test Subject C.1. – Mr. Smith. You have told Professor Zimmermann about your medical record in interview 1. Would you like to tell me if you have any concern regarding the next step of the study?"

"Concern? Why should I have any concern? I agreed to volunteer because you told us, that you needed red-blooded Alpha bros like myself for your tests, and that you could make us stronger, bigger, faster. It's like a fucking childhood dream. The new untested gainers helped me lift 45 pounds more than earlier, in just a week. When the IVs were added to the experiment, I couldn't believe my eyes, and if you ask my girlfriend, she'll tell you that my strength isn't the only thing that has increased, know what I mean? But why the hell do you allow Davies to take part of this? He's not got what it takes. He's not built of the right stuff."

"Beginning interview 3 with Test Subject C.2. – Mr. Johnson. You have told Professor Zimmermann about your medical record in interview 1. Would you like to tell me if you have any concern regarding the next step of the study?"

Silence.

"Mr. Johnson, the recorded interviews add important information. Will you please answer the questions."

"Well. Yes. I though all these blood samples and urine samples gave you what you need for your research?"

"The personal experience of the test subjects will add information."

"Do you need to call me Mr. Johnson? I'd prefer if you'd call me Chuck."

"If you prefer that, Chuck, I will call you Chuck."

"I ... I like the tests. I played rugby before, and a belly may add some force during a match, but I don't play rugby anymore, and, to be honest, I'm worried that I will add the sort of belly my Dad and uncles have. The gainers and the IV has intensified my workouts, and my body fat is lower now. I would like to continue, and I like the other test subjects. It's fun to listen to Smith, and I like to give Davies advice at the gym."

"Beginning interview 3 with Test Subject C.3. – Mr. Davies. You have told Professor Zimmermann about your medical record in interview 1. Would you like to tell me if you have any concern regarding the next step of the study?"

"I'm not sure. Perhaps it was a bad idea to volunteer to this project."

"Why so? Do you have experienced any medical complications you haven't told us about?"

"Medical complications? No, it's not something like that."

Silence.

You cleared your throat in a supportive and encouraging way.

"I'm not sure I want to be around the other test subjects. Workouts are, uh, fun in a way, and that's something new to me, but I feel ... I don't like to work out together with the other test subjects. Not Smith, at least."

Silence.

"It doesn't matter when you work out, as long as you follow the recommended programme. Could it help, if you exercised at other times?"

"Yes, I think so. It's otherwise rather, uh, fun to participate. I didn't think, that I would, uh, like exercise, and now I have actually added some, uh, muscles."

"That's good, isn't it?"

"Am I supposed to like it? It's like, uh, I'm not a jock like Smith and Johnson, and I have always preferred to spend time on study instead of sports, and now I feel bad because I, uh, like to exercise."

"I'm sure it is good for your personal development to be able to combine intellectual activities with physical activities. You must have guessed that, otherwise you wouldn't have volunteered to begin with, would you?"

"Um, yes, you have a point there, but are you allowed to enjoy it this much?"

"Don't worry. Smith and Johnson seem to enjoy it. Why shouldn't you?"

"Well, you see. I don't want to become like them."

"Each test subject come into the project with their own past experiences and personality traits. The research project will not change who you are. It will only enhance your physical capacity, if it goes well, and we don't take any unnecessary risks here. It's not like the scientific accidents in fiction."

"If... If you say so. So, I am allowed to exercise at other times than Smith and Johnson? And I am allowed to proceed to next step?"

"Yes and yes. Your medical data look very promising. We will proceed to next step in a few days."

"I think ... I think, that I would like that."

What is it with younger people today? Late again? None of the three had arrived in time for the next step of the experiment, but Smith entered the lab, just as you began to become mildly irritated. 

"So. There you are. More punctual, than the other two, at least."

He smiled again, and his white teeth flashed. As instructed, he had changed into a stringer, elastic training bottoms and a pair of trainers. He had got a V-shape already, when he first volunteered for the experiment, but three months with the drip and the supplements had added some mass to his innate shape, and he looked like the muscular guys in sports commercials. Heavens know how the next step would affect him.

"As I told you all three last week, the next step is about activating the active substances you have absorbed for three months. Your body must now be saturated by them. The activation will occur by exposing you to anabolic radiation."

He smiled again. The glint in his eyes was as cocky as it was devoid of intelligence.

"I like the sound of that. You showed us the radiation chambers last time. Reminds me of that scene in Captain America. I love the thought of extreme gains. Want to look like a comics character in real life."

Gains. He said "gains", but there was something in the way he pronounced it, that caused you to hear GAINZ, as in "gainz lol bro knowwhaddimean?". You tried hard to conceal your problems with Smith. Anyhow. Tonight you would have new test data, and, if the other two showed up as agreed, you would have three sets of new test data. Something to base next step on.

You opened Test Chamber 1. Smith was right. There was a resemblance to that scene in that film, but there were also differences of course. Reality trump fiction. The pane of lead-glass was comparatively large, and you would be able to watch the face and chest of the test subject, at least on lower energy levels. The glass was prepared to darken at higher energy levels, in order to protect observers outside. Smith stepped inside, still smiling mischievously, not understanding the gravity of the situation. A radiation chamber isn't a toy, and even if the recently discovered anabolic radiation didn't belong to the lethal category of radiation as alpha- beta- and gamma-radiation do, it was definitely potentially dangerous. Even UV rays and X-rays are dangerous in excess. Particle physicists had been forced to revaluate the standard model of particles when anabolic radiation was discovered, and there were still a vast area of exploration to be done. The lid closed, but seconds before it closed, Smith shouted in a carefree way:

"Make me buff, Doc!"

Davies and Johnson ... Chuck ... arrived a few minutes after activation of Smith's Test Chamber. Davies' posture was slightly more comfortable in the company of Johnson ... Chuck ... when Smith wasn't able to interrupt, but there was some discomfort in his facial expression. Chuck seemed his usual sunny and chuckling self, his big hand on Davies' shoulder. Both of them halted their steps and watched agape the transformation taking place in Test Chamber 1.

The blue light shimmered around Smith -- similar to the glow from a tanning bed -- and Smith's physical shape was ... changing. Smith had been in good condition three months ago, and he had been in a good condition when he had entered the chamber, but this ... This was on another level. Look like a comics character? What a suitable expression. All of Smith's muscles were swole. Smith perspirated, and he emitted moaning sounds in a voice, that sounded deeper than before:

"Fuck, yes! This is ... Yeah ... Doc ... Look at this! ... Wow! ... Oh! ... Hey? Are you here? Can't wait to see you grow, Chuck. And what are you doing here, Dweeb? Didn't I tell you ... UH! Didn't I tell you, that you are not built of the right ... Fuck yeah! .... The size! ... Ooooh!"

Chuck and Davies watched what happened to Smith, and you could tell, that none of them were unaffected by the sight. Davies blushed, and seemed to be embarrassed:

"I'm nervous. Are you sure it's safe, Sir?"

A bright smile lightened up Chuck's powerful face, and his eyes were ablaze in wonder. Chuck couldn't stop himself from exclaiming:

"Hell, yes! Do it to me! Do it to both of us! You will like it, little buddy!"

You had to make up for the late arrival of Davies and Chuck as best as you could. You rushed them inside Test Chambers 2 and 3, closed the lids, and returned to the equipment. Readings on pulse, bodyheat  and blood pressure of Test Subject C.2 and Test Subject C.3. Switching Test Chamber 2 and Test Chamber 3 on. Increasing the level carefully. Returning attention to Test Chamber 1 ...

Sweat trickled from Smith, soaking his stringer. The outlines of his bulging pecs and hard abs would, by now, have been visible even if he hadn't been soaked in sweat. Smith shivered and grunted, but, by the sound of it, not because of any pain. The pre-programmed run of this test cycle was approaching its end, and Test Chamber A was winding down. The blue shimmer faded. The humming sound decreased and went out. Only the other two chambers were making any noise. When the safety delay ended, the lid opened automatically, and Smith stepped outside.

The smirk on his face had increased, and he made a pose you had seen bodybuilders do, but you couldn't remember its name: Smith's left hand rested at his hip, and his right arm was flexed, his right hand clenched in front of his right hip. The body of the athletic university student had turned into the body of some sort of bodybuilder, and he seemed to enjoy it.

"Look at this mass, Geek! Thanks for speeding up my gainz."

He grabbed your collar, and lifted you in front of himself.

"Can't see any weights around, so your bodyweight have to do."

He curled you, and disappointment spread in his face:

"You are too lightweight, Geek. No match for my new improved MUSCLES."

He curled you several times, put you down, disappeared into the Research Gym next door, and returned, carrying two rubber-coated dumbbells with a chromed handle.

"Look at this, Geek. More to my taste."

He began to curl the big dumbbells, curled them perhaps a dozen times, and put them down. You were able to notice the figures engraved on the dumbbells: 75 kilogrammes/165 lbs. Though you hadn't entered the research subject from the angle of sports, but of medical recovery for emaciated patients, you had the impression, that this was fairly heavy. In former tests, Smith had curled considerably lighter dumbbells six to eight times.

"You should be proud, Geek. You found the right guy and turned him into a mass monster. What a pity, that you are not built to join me."

He lifted you again -- his big, powerful hands under your armpits -- and then let the collar of your white lab-coat hang on a hook protruding from the wall, close to your desk.

"Hang on. Don't go anyway."

The smug smirk returned. He turned around to watch the two active Test Chambers. He took a few steps -- no, his improved quads and hamstrings caused him to WADDLE -- closer to the Test Chambers.

"Now, do you see anything wrong, Geek? Since, I do. In front of me I have a real Bro gaining a lot, like I did, but in front of me I also have a Dweeb not worth wasting these gainers, IV's and growth rays on. Do you really expect this scrawny nobody to gain anything? Look at him! Even inside that Chamber he's only reached, what do you guess, 140 or 150 pound?"

"Stop behaving like that, Smith, and let me down. I have an experiment to perform. You can't keep me away from the controls like this!"

His eyes burned, probably stoked by his increased testosterone levels, you thought.

"I can't? Who are you, to tell me what I can and can't do, little Geek? Now, watch this!"

Smith waddled to the controls, took a look at them, and turned the controls, increasing the anabolic radiation in both Test Chambers. The blue shimmer behind the glass became brighter, and both test subjects made shouts, a shout of fear from Davies, a shout of pleasure from Johnson. Both shouts turned into moans.

"You hear that? Chuck loves his medicine, and the Dweeb will probably fry. Am I not right?"

Smith turned the controls again. The moans became louder: Johnson's moans of pleasure and Davies moans of fear. The latter shouted:

"No! It's too much!"

Smith faced you and imitated Davies, teasingly:

"It's too much! ... Look at me, Geek. Was it too much for this Alpha Bro? Was it?"

Smith made a double biceps, turning his back on the Chambers, too obsessed with his own increased strength and muscle mass, to spend any thoughts on what was happening to the test subjects.

"Smith. Turn the levels down to average immediately, or you may face legal consequences!"

Smith was too deep into feeling his new muscles, to answer you.

"There is nothing average about this brawn! Look what an Alpha I have become! Look at these guns! And these delts!"

Smith posed and flexed his muscles in front of you, as you helplessly dangled above the floor, but he soon got bored. A glint awakened in his eyes –– a thirst to explore his new strength -- and he left the Lab in the direction of the Research Gym.

You could hear the sound of weights through the open doors, but you were left alone in the Lab. Alone to watch the experiment to go awry in front of you, the Chambers working at too high levels of anabolic radiation.

"No! Not me! I ...", Davies yelped inside Chamber 3, as the bolts of too high anabolic radiation crackled and hit his defenceless slim body -- well, what until recently had been a slim swimmer's body. It was hard to discern Davies clearly, because of the bright blue glow, but, by now, Davies looked like he sort of man who successfully competed in Men's Physique. The stringer had looked misplaced when Davies stepped into the Chamber, but now it cling to his chest and his waist in a flattering way. The stretchy bottoms now clung to his expanding quads and hamstrings. Even his voice was changing, going deeper. Deeper. 

"No! I'm ... I'm not supposed to ... Uh! No! Fuck! Uh! It's ... Uh! It's so good! So fucking good! Yes! Bigger! Make me bigger! I'm becoming ... UH! I'M BECOMING LIKE THEM! ... Hell, yeah! Look at this mass! Look at this Alpha Bro I'm becoming! This jock power! THE MASS! Feeling so hard! So much! Yes! More! Harder! Bigger! Stronger! Heavier!"

The stringer couldn't take anymore. Davies' newfound and still growing brawn BULGED and expanded, ripping the stringer apart. Blue-glowing power-emissions caused Davies sweat-coated chest to shine inside the Chamber, underlining the sheer power of Davies' pecs. Deep ravines separated Davies' pecs and abs, and the waist of the once so tiny test subject now looked like cobblestones. Immensely powerful lats caused the outline of Davies to look like a perfect Y. If it was voluntarily or involuntarily you didn't know, but Davies began to flex his arms inside the Chamber. The now mountainous biceps and intimidating triceps formed upper arms, that could have caused envy even on a Mr. Olympia stage. Davies adjusted his stance, because the rapid growth of his thighs caused his legs to press into each other. You could see bolts and sparks of anabolic radiation crackle between Davies teeth, and out of Davies' eyes as his physical shape entered a state far beyond anything seen on a bodybuilding stage: Davies now consisted of steel-hard muscles growing into titanic proportions. The seams of his training-bottoms couldn't take anymore. The tatters fell to the bottom of the Chamber, revealing Davies' underwear the same moment Davies' rock-hard glutes and unruly manhood forced the underwear to disintegrate.

In Chamber 2, a similar, but not identical process was underway with Chuck. Though Chuck hadn't lacked any muscle mass when the experiment began, it now increased in unfathomable speed, and it was obvious, that Chuck's sub-cutaneous fat was burning away at visible rate, revealing the brawny muscles beneath.

The sound of the Chambers became louder, and the light inside them became blindingly white. Roars came from the men inside: Assertive, virile roars of men in a state of ecstasy. A scent of burned machinery began to fill the Lab, and your worry became more intense. Then, the program winded down, the sound decreased, the Chambers opened and the two Test Subjects stepped outside. The scent of testosterone-fuelled Man filled the Lab.

The heavily built muscleman who stepped out of Chamber 3 wasn't the tiny youth who had stepped inside, though you knew they must be the same person, despite the extreme and alarming differences. You didn't like the smirk, which hadn't been there before, and you didn't like the arrogant fire that burned in his brown eyes.

Chuck had left Chamber 2, and his shape matched Davies, but there was jolliness in his gaze and his smile was cheerful. Chuck let his big palms caress his abs, and his smile broadened. The physical presence of the two men filled the Lab, and your reason had difficulties to take the sight in, of two towering virile presences seemingly built by globes of steel-hard bronzed flesh. Their presence wasn't the only thing to fill the Lab. Sweat glistened, and the scent of tall, heavy and confident men filled the Lab to a suffocating degree, causing your knees to tremble.

It was Davies' voice, that broke the silence:

"Let's show Smith what we have become. Someone ought to teach him a lesson."

The broad-shouldered bronzed behemoth, that had been Davies, clenched his fist and punched his other palm insinuatingly, his powerful chin lifted in an arrogant angle. With a confident gait, and with his shoulders swinging from left to right as he waddled, Davies walked in the direction of the Research Gym, and, with a playful smile, Chuck followed in the steps of his little buddy.

His little buddy wasn't little anymore.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...
56 minutes ago, debate1 said:

Any chance for a sequel 

Thanks for asking, but it wasn't meant to be continued. If you want to read a multi-chapter story of mine, you better look for my unfinished sci-fi story My Hulk-daddy is Paying, or its prequel Descent into growth. I've also written the horror story Professor Schnackenburg's Mistake.

• Like 1