NYSC Closing Clubs and Charging Fees Anyway

GymDandy

I'm usually just a lurker, but wanted to encourage anyone with a New York Sports Club membership to check their billing and also check the reopening hours here:

https://www.newyorksportsclubs.com/page/nysc-reopening-hours

NYSC is scheduled to reopen Sept. 2, but only a handful of gyms in NYC. That hasn't stopped them from charging your account today or, in my case, also trying to charge for March when they were closed. If you considered freezing or canceling your membership, I'd recommend doing it immediately, as they're already charging accounts without any notification that they're reopening -- or that they've shut down the majority of their locations.

You do you, but I strongly recommend you check the list of clubs (and operating hours) to determine if you want to continue with NYSC -- and if you want to freeze or cancel your membership, act ASAP.

I used to go there, but once they started charging without reopening, i’m definitely going to another gym now. Do you know how to cancel without physically being there?

Yes: Your NYSC contract (haha) tells you to send a certified letter to the location where you initially signed up. The NY Attorney General requires them to take electronic and phone cancellations: They recommend emailing [email protected] and/or using the Contact Us page on their website. They recommend contacting them electronically even if you sent a letter.

I contacted them on all fronts and got an email confirmation of my cancellation yesterday. I also walked by my closed location and noticed the lobby floor was covered in letters assumedly from people cancelling their memberships.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: NYSC filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy today.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/14/covid-19-new-york-sports-club-owner-town-sports-files-for-bankruptcy.html

If you're anticipating certain locations reopening in the near future, I'd rethink that.  Also, if they owe you money, call your credit card company.  I believe a chargeback is your only recourse after filing for bankruptcy (but feel free to check my math on that).

• 2 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Terms of Use, & Privacy Policy.
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..