Hialmar

Unit 246: Prologue

It was unreal. It felt unreal, at least. The other six young men were writhing in pleasure inside the chamber, as their bodies transformed into something else. Something new. Something the galaxy hadn't seen before. There were Smith: the cocky delinquent who had been sentenced to service in the Space Fleet after too many knuckle-fights, Larson: the tall, sinewy and taciturn tracker with a past in martial arts, Eymundsson: with an impressive record in Strongman competitions, Blanchard: the explosives expert, who looked like an ancient Greek statue, Karpov: the short and stocky bodybuilder, who was a skilful sniper, and Schnauzerschwarzwald, another sailor with a bodybuilding-hobby. Despite his short and fragile physique, Pauwels had been re-assigned together with the other six to the Marine Research branch of the Empire's armed forces. Weeks had followed, when Corporal Collins maintained high-intensity drill with them, only interrupted by repeated time for blood-samples and urine-samples taken by the Research Team.

The first two to go into the chamber were Eymundsson and Schnauzerschwarzwald, after being injected by Version 1.1. Like any other tall man, Eymundsson hadn't been able to build a wide and V-shaped physique: His strength was impressive, but his muscles were lean and oblong, rather than peaking bulges. The opposite had been true about Schnauzerschwarzwald: Built like a heap of globes of brawn, he wasn't particularly tall, and didn't demonstrate the same amount of explosive or persevering strength of Eymundsson. The change had begun already after their first session in the chamber.

Early on found suitable for encryption and code-breaking, Pauwels wasn't the typical field operator, and the first week at the Research Ship had been uncomfortable. Although bullying wasn't precisely the right word for it, Smith had spent some time intimidating Pauwels, and Schnauzerschwarzwald had been slightly too smug about his physical superiority. Eymundsson had noticed, and had a little talk with them, and after that things changed to the better. Karpov had become a good friend: They were both about the same height, though any physical similarities ended there. Karpov looked like "a little tank" -- a description he earned from Blanchard. The following week Smith and Blanchard had went into the chamber: Though any physical changes had been less obvious, than in the case of Eymundsson and Schnauzerschwarzwald, Blanchard had begun to show the same assertive and confident behaviour of Smith, and the latter's general physical shape had changed into the same symmetrical and harmonious body-type as Blanchard.

Corporal Collins and Pauwels watched their six brothers in arms undergo the next level of the treatment. Instruments were fastened to their chests, arms and buzzcut heads, and the equipment hummed of power directed into the chamber. The men inside the chamber writhed and moaned on their reclining seats. Their glossy boots rested against their foot pads, and their growing legs were covered in wide camo-patterned trousers. Their tanned and sweaty torsos were naked under the impact of the transforming process, and their glistening individual shapes were scanned by the equipment. One of the anonymous white-clad researchers impassively declared:

"Scanning physical shapes of test subjects.", and pressed a few buttons.

"Fusing scanned shapes into desired enhanced shape."

The sound from Pauwels' friends became more excited and intense.

"Fuck! Can't believe ... Uh! Adding more of your symmetry, Blanchard, and getting beefy like you, Karpov.", Smith exclaimed.

"No, I don't want to ... Uh! I don't need more mass ... I ... No, I don't need obedience-implant ... I ... NO! What's happening?", Larson shouted, with an increasing level of fright in his voice.

"YES! Do it! Taller like you!", Karpov moaned, watching Smith, Larson and Eymundsson change before him. He was right. Pauwels could see his stout and sturdy little friend grow taller, without loosing his wide and brawny body-type.

One of the researchers approached Pauwels and Corporal Collins from behind:

"Corporal. It is time. You and Pauwels will be given Version 1.3."

Without any further ado, Pauwels and Corporal Collins were injected with Version 1.3. It stung. Pauwels felt warm, and felt some perspiration to form. He removed his t-shirt, and the dogtags dangled on his conditioned but thin naked chest. He felt Corporal Collins' hand on his shoulder.

"It has begun. Do you understand how your ability to keep lean will affect the field, and how your decryption talent will affect our shared brainwave-pattern?"

"I suppose I don't."

"Are you afraid?"

"I would lie if I told you, that I am not, but you and these six are among the finest men I have ever met."

Pauwels hesitated and shivered.

"Sir. Will I ... Will I achieve similar traits like the others?"

"If our calculations are correct: Yes. Hurry up, test-subject. Entering chamber NOW!"

And they entered. One minute later, Pauwels felt how he became more like the other men of his unit. Eymundsson's height and raw strength. Karpov's mass. Smith's confidence. Blanchard's and Schnauzerschwarzwald's symmetry. Larson's endurance and relentlessness. And Corporal Collin's courage. They were transforming into the Prototype Marines together, and Pauwel's let it happen. Two hours later, he wasn't Pauwels any longer. He was Unit 008. He had the body of Unit 008. He had the mind of Unit 008. He was proud to be Unit 008.

Chapter one take place decades later. Perhaps centuries. You'll find it here:

https://muscle-growth.org/topic/13112-unit-246/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1